Student Visa Australia (Subclass 500)

Student Visa Australia (Subclass 500)

All you need to know about subclass 500 visa, processing time, eligibility and estimated fees.

What is a student visa 500?

The student visa (subclass 500) allows you to stay in Australia for up to 5 years for the purpose of full-time study at an educational institution tailored to your enrollment.
With this visa you can:

• Attend a worthy course of study

• Include your family members in your application (your partner or you and your partner's dependent children).

• Apply online in or outside Australia

• Work up to 40 hours every 2 weeks after your course starts.

What are the eligibility criteria for the student visa 500?

• You must be 6 years or older

• Provide confirmation of enrollment (CoE) in full-time courses registered in the courses of Commonwealth Register of Institutions andOverseas Students, CRICOS

• Show proof of your English language skills

• You and your family members must be covered by the Migrant Student Health Cover (OSHC) from an approved Australian health insurance provider for the length of your stay in Australia.

• If you are under 18, you should have adequate welfare arrangements when you live in Australia.

• Meeting health and character requirements

• Have enough money for your stay

What is the procedure to apply for a student visa 500?

• If you are outside Australia, apply for your visa at least 6 weeks before the start of your course.

• If you are in Australia, allow enough time before your current visa expires as you may need more time in the event of any complications.

• Use the Document Checklist tool and collect your documents. Make sure you have the most current list as the Document Checklist tool is updated twice a year on 31 March and 30 September.

• Apply for this visa online in or outside Australia.

• Create or log in Immi account, attach documents and pay Vis application.

What is a document checklist tool?

The checklist gives you the address of the documents you will need to file with your application. Enter your country of passport and education provider to get an accurate document checklist. If you have not decided on your education provider, you can leave the field blank or select 'My the provider is not listed'.

If proof of English and financial ability is required at this level, please attach them before submitting your application.

What is the cost of the student visa 500?

Student Visa 500 costs from AUD 620 for the main applicant. A fee will apply for each family member who applies for a visa. You can use the Visa Pricing Estimator.

What is the processing time for the student visa 500?

Processing time may vary depending on which area you are applying for:

• 75% application in 29 days; 90% application in 42 days for higher education sector

• 75% application in 43 days; 90% application in 77 days for vocational education and training sector

Processing time for other sectors

Can I add someone else to my application?

Yes, you can include family members for student visas. they include:

• your partner or

• Your or your partner's dependent child who is unmarried and has not turned 18.
Can I declare my family member in my student visa application, even if they travel with me to Australia?

You must declare your family members in your application, even if they have no plans to travel to Australia with you.

If you do not declare them and they require you to join Australia later, you will have to apply for a new student visa, including them, and explain why they are not included in your earlier application. This an exemption is granted if your student became a member of your family after being granted a visa and later before applying.

Do I need health insurance for my student visa 500?

Yes, you and your family members must be covered by the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) from an approved Australian health insurance provider for your entire stay in Australia. If you are unable to ascertain which student receives health benefits, we have worked hard to select quality providers. You can compare OSHC providers and get instant bids. Please also refer to the visa grant period of the student to determine the length of coverage you require.

Will I need to take the IELTS test for my student visa 500?

Whenever your application is being processed, you may need to provide proof of your English language skills. The IELTS is the world's most popular English language proficiency test for study, work, and migration.

If proof of my English language skills is required, what should I provide?
You must provide proof that you:

• Has attained a certain test score in an English language test that has been approved by the department. You must have taken the English language test in 2 years before applying for a student visa.

• Has completed some eligible studies in English, or

• fall into a rebate category

What should I do if I need to extend my visa?

If you want to continue studying in Australia, you will need to apply for a new student visa.
What should I do if my situation has changed?

If things change you make sure to inform the Home Department. Things you need to tell them to include:

• Changes in your phone number, email, address or passport

• Change in your relationship status

• Changes in your welfare system

• Birth of a child

Check the most common situations here

What should I do if I want to change my course?

If there is a change in your study status, tell the Ministry of Home Affairs before doing so as your visa may be affected. If there is a change in your study status, know what your next steps are.

What welfare arrangements should be in place for applicants under 18 years of age?
You must be either:

• Enroll a student parent. A student guardian may be a parent, legal custodian or relative over 21 years of age. He/she must have a visa to stay in Australia for 18 years or your student visa

• Organize Fair Housing and Welfare (CAAW) confirmation with your education provider. Advise them to issue a CAAW and to the Department of Home Affairs of their welfare system to start the start and end dates

If you are a secondary exchange student, obtain approval of your Exam Secondary Exchange Student (AASES) form. Attach a signed copy of the CAAW to the student visa application, or

• If you are a foreign affairs or defense student, arrange for the acceptance of your welfare system from the minister concerned

How do I know what the visa result is?

You will be informed in writing about your visa application. You will be provided with:
• Your Visa Grant Number
• Your visa expiration date
• Your Visa Terms

Always keep a copy of the visa grant in Australia.
If your visa application is denied, you will know in writing why it was refused and whether you have the right to review the decision. If your application is rejected, unfortunately, the application fee will not be refunded.

What are the rights to work on a student visa 500?

Student Visa 500 allows you to work for 20 hours per week or 40 hours fortnightly. You will be allowed to start your part-time work after the course starts. However, international students enrolled in ACT public schools may work a maximum of 10 hours during the academic school year.

Can I travel on my visa?

You can travel outside Australia and return as many times as you want with a valid visa.